Advance Prep: 1. Print instructions or have them available to view on a device. Instructions can be found by click on the "File Link" in your Order Confirmation email.
2. Cutting (Label all pieces to avoid confusion) a. From the Main fabric, cut the following: • One 10-1/2 x 9-1/2 inch for back/spine • One 10-1/2 x 2 inch for front edge • Two 10-1/2 x 2 inch for pencil pocket • Two 10-1/2 x 5-1/2 inch for inside sleeves • One 6-1/2 x 5-1/2 inch for inside pocket • One 4-1/2 x 5-1/2 inch for inside pocket b. From the Accent fabric, cut the following: • One 13-1/2 x 6 inch for decorative front • One 13-1/2 x 1-1/2 inch for piping • One 10-1/2 x 16 inchfor lining • One 10-1/2 x 5-1/2 inch for inside pocket • One 8-1/2x 5-1/2 inch for inside pocket • Set the remainder aside for cutting bias strips. c. From the Shape-Flex interfacing, cut the following: Note: if your interfacing isn’t quite 20 inch wide, cut the 10 inch measurement at half the actual width of the interfacing. • One 15-1/2 x 10 inch for lining • Two 5-1/4 x 10 inch for inside sleeves
3. Center the Shape-Flex interfacing on the wrong side of the corresponding fabrics and fuse in place.
4. Set the serger for a 2-thread wide flatlock with serger thread in the needle and 12wt cotton thread in the lower looper. Do not forget to block the upper looper with the subsidiary looper or 2-thread converter. Test the stitch on a scrap of fabric and adjust the stitch length as desired. To test the stitch, fold a scrap of fabric wrong sides together and finger press. Serge, allowing half of the stitches to hang off the fabric. Unfold the fabric and flatten the stitch. See photos 3 and 4 in the instructions.
5. Thread the sewing machine for topstitching and piping. 6. Create piping using the 13-1/2 x 1-1/2 inch strip of fabric and the baby piping cord. Trim the seam allowance to 1/4 inch.
You will need:
• 1/3 yard of main fabric, *3/8 yard of accent fabric (*Extra will be needed for cutting bias if you do not wish to piece or if you are using larger bias binders than those listed)
• 1/2 yard of Shape-Flex interfacing (20 inch wide)
• 3/8 yard of baby piping cord
• Composition Notebook - 9-3/4 inch tall x 7-1/2inch wide
• Three to Four spools of serger thread to blend with fabrics
• One spool of 12wt cotton thread for flatlock decoration
• One spool of sewing thread to blend with fabrics
• Long Tweezers
• Temporary Fabric Marker
• Wonder Clips
• Piping or Zipper foot for sewing machine
• General Sewing and Serging
Supplies If using cover stitch with attachments to do binding, you will also need:
• 3/4 inch Belt Loop Binder,
• 28mm Single-Fold Bias Binder,
• 28mm Double-Fold Bias Binder.
These are the binders used to create the sample. If you have other sizes of binders available, you can also use those.
If using cover stitch without attachments to do binding, you will also need:
• 1/2 inch bias tape maker
If using a 3- or 4-thread overlock to do binding, you will also need:
• One spool of fusible thread or 1/4 inch wide