An exercise in optical illusions made easy, this quilt is reminiscent of the 1930s, but with a modern flair. Learn to accurately cut and construct complex shapes and place them strategically, allowing the fabric to visually construct itself into flower-like shapes. Make enough sections in class to master the technique and be able to finish your project at home, in whatever size you wish. Class time is packed with great quiltmaking information, and the kit includes Nelly’s special ruler and other necessary tools. Bring your own fabric, see supply list for details.
Bernina Studio sponsored by Quilt & Sewing Center /145 Art & Design Studio & That Little Quilt Shop
- Student Maximum: 20
- Category(ies): Quiltmaking
- Experience Level: Intermediate to advanced
- Prerequisite: Be able sew an accurate 1/4" seam allowance & use rotary cutting equipment
- Advance Prep: See Supply List for fabric requirements.
From background fabric:
From each of the 12 fabrics cut:
- Cut into 24 strips 2 inch x width of fabric (save the rest of the fabric and bring to class)
- 2 strips 2 inch x width of fabric
- Supply List: Paper scissors, fabric scissors, small scissors or snips, straight pins, pencil, marking instrument (pen, pencil or chalk) and seam ripper.
- 3 yds of background fabric (white)
- 1/8 yd each of 12 different fabrics (2 yellow, 2 lavender, 2 blue, 2 green, 2 peach, and 2 pink)