Flat patterns are necessary, but not necessarily the best starting point for accurate fitting of your three-dimensional figure. Join expert fitter and designer Joe Vecchiarelli in this day long draping experience, as you work on your own dress form to create your personal bodice sloper -- your body double.
Begin with padding your dress form to accurately represent your own shape, in preparation for draping your first bodice on the form. Your body measurements, Joe’s demonstration and assistance throughout the morning makes this a priceless opportunity to create a dress form that truly fits you.
Once completed, your dress form will become the base upon which your bodice sloper is draped. Learn the basics of draping as you create, in fabric, what will become your pattern fitting block. Specific dress form required – see Supply List for details.
By the end of the day you will have:
- Created your ‘body double’ on a dress form;
- Draped your basic princess-style bodice on the dress form;
- Converted the draped bodice into a flat pattern:
- Learned to compare and contrast your personal sloper with a paper pattern, and explored how to use the information for fit and design purposes;
- As time permits, you’ll learn to change princess lines to darts for both knits and wovens.
You’ll take home:
- A record of your exact body measurements;
- A collection of fitting/draping/drafting equipment, including a 2 x 18-inch grid ruler, industrial tracing wheel (not the wimpy home version), metal 18-inch Curve Vary Form ruler, soft lead Berol pencil, #17 French Curve ruler, #24 straight pins for draping; marking paper
- Muslin for draping and bodice fitting;
- Your padded ‘body double’ for use in your own sewing studio.
About "More the Day Before"
Immerse yourself in an all-day workshop before the Expo opens. Share in the guidance, artistry, technical advice and inspiration your expert teacher brings to the classroom.
PLUS...your MDB registration qualifies you for a Value Package, which includes discounted pricing on your MDB class sessions AND any additional Expo class sessions, 3 free General Admission tickets and a free shopping bag!
Classroom opens at 8:30, instruction begins at 9:00, and your fees include a re-energizing lunch to carry you through until 5:00. If you have any dietary restrictions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-699-6309 as soon as you register for class.