Teacher Terms & Conditions
Hoffman Media, LLC (HM) dba Original Sewing & Quilt Expo (OSQE) is dedicated to providing exciting, vibrant, high-quality classroom experiences at each and every event. Teachers are practiced and passionate about their subjects, and generous in sharing their knowledge inside the classrooms. Each teacher brings essential techniques, innovative approaches and current trends to students in classes (both lectures and workshops) morning, afternoon and evening for one, two or three days in each event location.
As an independent educator contracted by OSQE to participate as a faculty member,
you agree to the following:
1. Multiple Promotions
To publicize your participation at OSQE to the public in all ways reasonable and appropriate. This includes, but is not limited to, promotion of your OSQE class information (titles & descriptions) and participation (dates & times) in the following ways:
- Website Publication: Screenshot or link to appropriate page(s) required; send to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Blog Post: Screenshot or link to appropriate page(s) required; send to email@example.com
- Email Notice and/or e-Newsletter (at least two  per event, one 6-8 weeks prior, one 3-5 weeks prior). Send a copy of the e-Newsletter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Social Media posts as appropriate (pass along to Chris so we can share, too!)
- Word-of-mouth at events and other personal appearances
- Inserts in mail order, e-commerce fulfillment and bag-stuffers. OSQE rack cards are available upon request
- Download the OSQE event logo here and include it in your Promotion. Please add a hyperlink back to SewingExpo.com wherever appropriate, and please include dates and locations
- Also available are event specific logos with date and location.
2. Informational Handouts, Professional Biographies and Photos
- To provide an informational handout (including workshop project directions) for each student in class that supports, explains or enhances the classroom learning experience. For lectures, this can be as simple as an outline of topics covered in class (with space for notes), directions to a technique described in class or a bibliography of related books or pattern numbers. (Please note: a price list of products is not the type of informational handout we are asking for.) We reserve the right to request these on-site for review.
- To provide your most current photo (head-shot) and professional biography to the office for appropriate online promotion. (There is a field for you to include this on the Class Proposal Form on the website).
3. Personal Appearances
Respect the dates and geographical reach surrounding OSQE markets. This means your professional appearances can only be conducted outside the core marketing area of the event (2 hours’ drive) during the 90 days before and after the event unless you have obtained express written consent from a company Director agreeing to the exception. This arrangement also benefits the other presenting or sponsoring organization or retailer, since their promotional dollars aren’t competing with ours. Limiting personal appearances to the areas outside the primary event marketing radius – and calendar months – is the best way to keep everybody busy, happy and profitable.
4. Confirm Classroom Set-up
To verify classroom location and room-set up, including audio visual equipment, on the day prior to the first scheduled class whenever possible. If you arrive on the same day as your first class, you should check in at the Ambassador Desk as early as possible so that any concerns about the classroom can be addressed in a timely manner.
5. Provide Content for Social Media
- Other photographs will be gladly accepted and posted on the OSQE Social Media pages as appropriate.
1. Materials Fee Reimbursement (if applicable)
To collect materials fees for hands-on workshops during the registration process and reimburse them to you as appropriate when the proper paperwork is completed at the event. See details on the Teacher Information page under 'Before You Depart.'
- To provide internet-ready and/or print-ready materials, printed rack cards, brochures and so on for you to use in promoting event appearances.
- Publicize you as a Faculty member and your classes:
- In the printed class brochure;
- At SewingExpo.com with class descriptions, your photograph and professional profile;
- Via Email and Social Media promotions;
- Via the telephone with personal recommendations by in-house Registration Specialists during the registration process.
Selling of patterns, books, materials, etc. within the classroom is not permitted under any circumstance while the Exhibit Hall is open. The Exhibit Hall hosts all retail sales of products and services. If you have a limited product line (not enough for a booth of your own), matchmaker services may be able to help you find a home for your products in a compatible vendor’s booth, allowing the important connection between classroom experiences and Exhibit Hall sales to be maintained. Interested parties will be provided with contact information and arrangements can then be made with the vendor to retain a percentage of sales in exchange for their space and services.
Hoffman Media, LLC (HM), the owner of OSQE, does not maintain insurance covering damage, destruction or loss of Teacher property as a result of theft, fire, accident or any other cause. It is the sole responsibility of the Teacher to obtain any insurance desired and/or necessary. It is also expressly understood neither HM nor its employees, agents or representatives shall be liable for injury of Teacher, and including any employees, agents, representatives or guests of Teacher. HM shall not be responsible for any claims, liabilities or damages arising out of, or in any way related to, the actions or services performed by Teacher.
Teacher agrees that he/she is undertaking the services provided as an independent contractor and not as an employee of HM. Further, HM shall not be responsible for income tax, Social Security, Worker’s Compensation, unemployment insurance, or any other withholding or payment as an employer. Teacher agrees to hold HM harmless from and against any and all liability resulting from or in any way connected to Teacher’s acts or omissions.
Teacher hereby grants HM, its affiliates and their respective designee, and acknowledges that they shall have, the perpetual, worldwide right to use, display, reproduce and distribute and permit others to use, display, reproduce and distribute Teacher’s name, likeness, other identification and biographical material, and images and descriptions of the projects or other materials and designs therefore relating to Teacher’s Class(es), for the purposes of promoting and advertising the events in which the Teacher is participating and future HM events, in HM publications, web sites or other media.
OSQE reserves the right to cancel, for any cause and for the good of the show (such as insufficient enrollment), any class at any time. When such cancellation takes place prior to 30 days in advance of the opening day of the event, such cancellation shall result in a proportionate decrease in the compensation payable to the teacher.
Failure to Appear
Failure to appear for any cause whatsoever will result in payment from you (the Faculty member) to OSQE equal to the total of 125% of class revenue already collected at the time of cancellation, plus 100% of total booth value assigned, if appropriate.
These terms constitute the complete understanding of the parties and supersedes all prior agreements, understandings and proposals (whether written or oral) in respect to the matters specified. These terms shall not be subject to modification, or discharge, in whole or in part, except by written instrument signed by the parties. This Agreement shall be construed and enforced in accordance with the laws of the state of Alabama. The Federal and state courts located in Birmingham, Alabama shall have sole and exclusive jurisdiction over any disputes arising under the terms of this Agreement.
The Teacher releases and forever discharges HM, its employees, agents, officers, parent company and affiliates from any and all manner or actions, liabilities, suits or claims, including attorney’s fees, which may arise out of or relate to the performance of these terms.
By agreeing to these terms, Teacher agrees that the project(s) you are teaching is (are) your design(s), and if it is not your design that you have written permission from the original designer to teach it at the Event and grant the rights hereunder.
All warranties and representations and indemnifications in these terms shall survive the termination of your services.
The Information in your particular Letter of Agreement will be kept confidential and shall not, without the prior consent of the other (hereinafter the "Disclosing Party"), be disclosed by the receiving party (hereinafter the "Recipient"), or by its agents, representatives or employees, in any manner whatsoever, in whole or in part, and shall not be used by the Recipient, its agents, representatives or employees, other than in connection with this particular event.
Teacher may not assign Teacher’s obligations hereunder without the prior written consent of HM and any such assignment without consent is void. These terms and the following agreement may be executed by facsimile or electronic signature and facsimile and electronic signatures shall be fully binding and effective for all purposes and shall be given the same effect as original signatures.
An online Letter of Agreement signed by OSQE and you (the Faculty member) will outline individual arrangements at each event for which you are scheduled to teach, and, once signed, will indicate you have read and agree to the terms contained herein.
© Hoffman Media, LLC