Monday 4:00pm – Wednesday 4:45pm Creating Your ‘Body Double’, A Draped Bodice and The Perfect Pant Design on a dress form and fit with a flat pattern? Or fit on a dress form and design on tissue patterns? Is one method better than the other, or do they each have a purpose? Are some things easier using one or the other, or do they work together? And oh, most of all, how on earth do we get started?!? Join expert fitters and designers Joe Vecchiarelli and Judy Kessinger in this unprecedented retreat, as you explore using dress forms and flat patterns together for designing and expert fit.
Begin with an entertaining and informative lecture/demonstration, as Joe shows basic draping on a dress form, and creates a princess style bodice out of muslin. You can begin padding your dress form to create your own ‘Body Double’ in preparation for draping your first bodice on the form. Judy will measure each of you, and record the measurements…which will become the pants patterns, delivered back to you to cut, sew and fit during the retreat.
On Tuesday, you can first work with Joe to complete padding your dress form and fitting your draped bodice on ‘her' or cut out your pants and get ready to sew. As your day progresses, you’ll complete and stitch your muslin bodice and see how to take that to paper. Judy will show how to use the fitted bodice pattern from your dress form, and using the alterations, create many different styles from her pattern. She’ll help you “play” with your ideas, answer questions and present a Trunk Show to whet your creative juices and send you in great design directions. You’ll learn how to change princess lines to darts, accommodate knits and wovens, tweak for fitting perfection as you sew and much, much more.
Wednesday is an all-sewing day! You’ll baste, tweak and stitch your pants together, and adjust the paper pattern to match your tweaks. Judy will demonstrate pockets, zippers, pant variations, serger techniques and more. By the end of the retreat you’ll have:
- Created your ‘body double’ on a dress form;
- Draped your basic princess-style bodice on the dress form;
- Learned to compare and contrast your draped bodice with a paper pattern and explored how to use the information for fit and design purposes;
- Discovered how to make style changes to your top, including adapting for knits and wovens, converting princess lines to darts, tweaking fit as you sew and more.
You’ll also take home:
- A record of your exact body measurements;
- A collection of fitting/draping/drafting equipment, including a 2” x 18” grid ruler, industrial tracing wheel (not the wimpy home version), metal 24” Curve Vary Form ruler, soft lead Berol pencil, #17 French Curve ruler, #24 straight pins for draping;
- Muslin for draping and bodice fitting;
- AND a digital tutorial on padding your dress form from Joe;
- A paper Master Pants pattern, DVD and your pants personally fitted to you from fashion fabric;
- Your padded ‘body double’ if you’ve purchased one for the retreat (or already own one of Joe’s forms);
- AND a digital file which includes: pants variations and how to create them, two different pockets, a zipper video and patterns with written instructions, a collection of fun necklines for use with a Master Pattern, Judy’s Top 10 Tips
Monday: Welcome 4-4:30pm; Class is in session 4:30-7:30pm
Tuesday: Classroom opens at 8:30am. Class is in session 9am-5pm; Optional Open Sew 6-8pm
Wednesday: Classroom opens at 8:30am. Class is in session 9am-4pm; "Graduation" 4:15-4:45pm
(Note: Only Monday time is listed on ticket, but your registration is valid for the entire event.)